*** An Outline Learning by Ear Process ***
If been trying to learn music “ear-first”, ie without reading scores first. My process is currently:
- listen to the song / piece lots and lots and lots. Just soak it in.
- active listening to answer questions like a what’s the form, key, what instruments play when, articulations etc etc
- using suitable software loop a small section
- try to sing the numbers of the melody or bassline
- find the notes on instrument to check
- slow down if required
- separate out instrument/voice stem only if really needed.
- rinse and repeat, recalling previously learnt bits
- probably explore harmony (chords), often as part of step 2, active listening for form. Eg it’s 12 bar blues
- record somehow as you build up for fall back reminder, I might use stick and solfeg (numbers) rather than full score notation. Maybe record yourself singing the Numbers of the melody.
- later do tapered recall to fix it.